Sweetness and Light

Just want to bring a smile to the reader's lips - and an occasional thought. Will try to stay away from controversial topics - rather create my own! And would definitely welcome comments. :-)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Packing Punches

I was supposed to be in Delhi / Gurgaon at this moment, with two days of training on Change Management behind me, and the prospect of attending a dear friend's wedding ahead. Instead, I am in Hyderabad, sitting in my comfortable guest house room, and typing away my thoughts. Not a bad proposition in itself, but then, the mind always compares "what is" with "what could have been", isn't it? My trip to Delhi got rescheduled at almost the last moment. Amidst the disappointment of not being able to make it to my friend's wedding was the consolation that at least I wouldn't have to unpack - not because the trip to Hyderabad materialized (that did not happen till some hours later), but simply because I hadn't packed yet. You see, I habitually postpone my packing till the last possible moment.

Which brings me to my today's deliberation - what is it about packing that I dislike so much? It is not as if I am terrible at it. On the contrary, I am quite efficient - it is usually done in a jiffy, and I rarely forget to put in something really important (of course, there have been couple of instances when I have really regretted forgetting my camera). I have a variety of luggage pieces to choose from - soft / hard, trolley / backpack, red / blue - you name it (I like collecting luggage pieces - more on that some other time) and I got it. I am an experienced packer - staying out of home for 14 years does that to you - at least two visits home every year, apart from the normal short trips on work or pleasure. In fact, I am quite good at packing - my mom says so, and no other ceritifcation is required. I even keep my toothpaste and shaving cream in their original cartons, because experience has taught me that it is easier to fit boxes together in the shaving kit than to dump tubes on top of each other. (May be I just made that one up, but I find it more aesthetic, at the least). So then, what is my problem with packing?

I wonder whether it has something to do with inertia. You see, packing implies moving - for however little distance, for however short time. It is a change from status quo. And I guess I don't like change much - like most of us. It is not as if I have not seen change in my life, or not handled it well. In fact, I think I am very adaptable to changing circumstances - more on that some other day. But just because I can do something well doesn't mean I have to like it, right? Like packing? :-)

P.S. all those who do not like packing, please raise your hands and post a comment! :-)
P.P.S. for that matter, I do not like unpacking too. Am I weird or what?

1 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

I hate packing too.
And unpacking.
And I'm supposed to be the one that's good at it.
It's funny, a bag well packed used to give a tremedous amount of satisfaction -- maybe it still does -- maybe it's just the frequency of packing and unpacking that's getting to us.
Oh, and about the cartons -- that's daft, man. :-) Why would you want to lug around all that empty air?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home