Sweetness and Light

Just want to bring a smile to the reader's lips - and an occasional thought. Will try to stay away from controversial topics - rather create my own! And would definitely welcome comments. :-)

Monday, February 27, 2006

Rang De Basanti, Swades, and Patriotism for our times

At the outset, would like to clarify two things. One, this article is not a comparison of the two movies, both of which are among my favorites. And two, I am not a particularly patriotic person. When I first heard the phrase "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel", I was quite taken aback by the seemingly pre-posterous idea. After all, I had been brought up on, and strongly believed in, the notions of loving one's country (which, at least then, seamlessly translated into hating Pakis), and sacrificing everything for the motherland, and so on. Today, I would like to believe, I know the difference between patriotism and jingoism. One can love one's country without necessarily hating another one. And one can love humanity without regard to nationality. Not that I have reached that stage!

Anyway, to get back to the main theme, I first saw Swades during the Christmas break of 2004. I watched it again after a week, and then bought the VCD as soon as it hit the shelves. There is something about the movie that appeals to me tremendously - and even now, I feel pained to think that the movie was not a commercial success. Pained because it seems to indicate the lack of audience for such movies. I am not a movie critic or trade analyst, and cannot speculate on why it flopped. Some said it was too long (so was Lagaan!), some said it was too preachy, some said SRK was deglamorised....I don't know. I personally feel this was the first movie where SRK acted - not over-acted. The music was melodious, the lyrics had meaning (my favorite being "Yeh Tara Woh Tara")...anyway, it was not the first time that I liked a movie that had flopped. What appealed to me most was the idea that there could be battle between good and good, or to put it another way, just because someone is opposed to what we perceive as "good", does not necessarily make him / her "bad". I am referring to the opposition SRK's character faces from the village elders, especially the character played by Lekh Tandon. There is no typecast villain out to ruin our hero's efforts - the villain here is ignorance and the tendency to live in our "glorious past". And the villain is vanquished not through death-defying stunts, but by generating electricity - the light of knowledge. Simplistic - may be, Idealistic - definitely, but it appeals to the simple idealist in me. :-)

On the other hand, Rang De Basanti makes no bones about the fact that there is evil in the system. There are immoral politicians and arms dealers, insensitive police force, etc. And the youth of today is largely self-serving, when not downright clueless. The reality of the "system" is known to all, but it doesn't bother them, because bad things happen only to "others". But when tragedy strikes in their midst, they realize that there is no such distinction like "us" and "them" - it is all "us". And then the movie is about a series of events that have the air of a Shakespearean tragedy around them, ending with the inevitable. The movie strikes a chord because of its believability - we have been, or at least know, characters like DJ and Aslam. We have wondered about our aim in life, while choosing the path of least resistance and getting into obscure jobs paying for roti, kapda, makaan, and then some more. Barely a day passes when we do not learn about some injustice somewhere, and sometimes we witness it ourselves, but life goes on for us, secure in the fond, if stupid, belief that "it happens only to others". We feel good, at least I do, that by not doing anything "evil" we are contributing to the society. And when the Hobbes inside me asks whether "good is more than just the absence of evil", I quickly change the channel.

When I watch movies like these, I feel stirred - and distinctly uncomfortable with myself. There was a comic scene in some movie, I forget the name, where the character says that he wanted to be a freedom fighter but by the time he was born, we were already free. Rang De Basanti and Swades remind me that we are not yet free - we are enslaved by the demons of ignorance, corruption, communalism...the list is endless. There is no dearth of battles to be fought - but I don't seem to have it in me to enlist in any.

6 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pankaj, Good to find you again.
I haven’t seen the other movie yet, but I totally agree with you about Swades. We also have bought the DVD and watch this movie every now and then. The scene that tears my heart apart is the small kid selling water on the railway platform. It always brings tears to my eyes. For us, this movie has special appeal for one more reason. Even though the names of the characters and the location suggests otherwise, the characterization and the body language of SRK, Geeta Joshi, and Kaveri amma is essentially Marathi. Being away from Maharashtra for so many years and now away from India for a few, whenever we see this movie, we feel at home.
Take care.

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its time for a new post, dont you think?

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Pankaj said...

Medha - send me your e-mail id please. Would be great to get back in touch, and you can scold me to your heart's content about losing touch in the first place. :-)

thbpthh - thanks for the reminder. :-)

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pankaj, you can get my e-mail id from Anurag.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Pankaj said...

Medha, checked with Anurag. He doesn't have your id handy. Please be lenient with me one more time and send me the same? :-)

The Graduate - appreciate your comments about RDB. Indeed, its not a model of change that would work, but I think that was also clarified by Karan on the radio when he admits that the group made a mistake. The novelty of the movie is not in the solution, but in making today's generation aware of today's problems and reminding them of their responsibilities in what I feel is a very novel way. The characters "live" history, not read about it. And there is the difference. Of course, RDB is a hit because there is lot of fun element in the movie. In fact I have lost count of people who said they enjoyed the first half but were bored in the second. And there, I believe, Rakeysh Mehra is the loser in spite of the movie being a hit.

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panku Dear,

I have sent a mail to your IIMB and geind.ge.com ids. Hope they are still in use.
Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home