Sweetness and Light

Just want to bring a smile to the reader's lips - and an occasional thought. Will try to stay away from controversial topics - rather create my own! And would definitely welcome comments. :-)

Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's a dog's life

The inspiration behind this post has been in the running for more than 9 years now - so I guess that creates some sort of record in procrastination. Of course, when the idea first occurred to me, there was no blogosphere, but even taking that into account, it's almost 2 years since I have started blogging, and that also is a long time. Anyway, the most recent inspiration for this post is a recent news item that I came across - about some rich American(the way US economy is going, it will stop being a tautology soon) leaving about $300,000 to his three dogs. Yes, Dogs. And they say it is a dog's life!

I have always liked dogs, except a pom belonging to a close friend of mine, who never ceased barking. But the notion that a dog's life need not be a bad deal first impressed upon me around 1998 winters, when I was in Mumbai for 3 months on a training. I was staying at a dear friend's place at Khar, and my office was at Belapur. Those familiar with Mumbai geography - stop and empathize right now. Those who aren't, open up a map, and then empathize. For empathize you must. My day went like this - leave home at 7:30 after being fed nicely by auntie, take a rick or a bus to Bandra station depending on whether I was poorer in time or in money (in practical sense, time ain't money - I never had them together then, and certainly not now), take a BEST 505 to Mankhurd station on Harbour line, then take a train to Belapur, and then walk about a km to get to office. Now there might be simpler routes - like going to Santacruz station and then to Kurla, and then to Belapur...but I was never much for Bombay trains - they serve a lot of humanity, but I am not human (or may be man) enough for them in peak hours.

But wait, I am digressing. What has all this got to do with dogs, and their lives? This. What was the sight that greeted me when I reached the office complex? A couple of dogs soaking in the sun. Eyes blissfully closed, body gracefully stretched, sleeping on content stomachs. If you think this was bad, there were other ways in which they spent their morning hours. Like "making love" to a female dog (why can't I use the b word?) And mind you, not the same one every day (the female dog, I mean). Day after day, for three months, when I was slogging my a%^ off commuting, working and then commuting again, I never saw a variation in these dogs' routine. Eat, sleep, make love, once in a while enjoy a good fight (all bark and no bite) - and this was supposed to be a dog's life.

I am currently trying to figure out what karma results in a canine birth in next life. Any clue, anyone?

3 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome back to blogging :) treat to read your posts..

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Ratul Saha said...

They say, every dog has its day, but this is also true that every dog has its own life, specially when it comes to $300K. I guess working hard and no barking, leads to a canine birth with no work and barking hard... might be wrong, but money really is an inspiration for shouting !!!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger samforyou said...

Awesome and yes you are right. One should crib when commented that you are leading a dog's life !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home